It’s my pleasure to extend a cheerful welcome Saf! He told me he started to work from home and about the situation in Europe. I was asking him ‘is that real people really don’t wear masks?’ ‘Will Italian be able to stay at home if they know the medical news as you do?’ ‘How’re your friends who are quarantine?’ and then we came up with an idea to share the right medical information for people, who is worried about this difficult time or who is quarantine?
Saf, an Italian Registered Dietitian, based in the UK
Translated by Ariel
First of all, there is not a cure or sure prevention for the virus yet, so all of these is to help to boost your immune system and prevent malnutrition which might be helpful in a lot of circumstances, this one included
But we need to be careful on all the misinformation and myths circulating on the internet, on desperate time like this, we still need to check the sources before believing in what we find online because anyone can give an opinion and some of them could be misleading
Here some myths and fake news I have found that is NOT true and is just made to clickbait:
- Some of the most dangerous are: drinking bleach or snorting cocaine can cure the virus, which is absolutely FALSE. 最危險的是：喝漂白劑或吸食可卡因可以治愈病毒，這絕對是錯誤的！
- Vitamin C, unfortunately, will not prevent to catch the virus. 維生素C並不能預防病毒
- Oregano oil is not a cure against the virus. 奧勒岡草不能治愈病毒
- A lot of video showing food to avoid in order to not catch the virus are made without any scientifically proof, so not trustable at all. 許多影片展示某食物來避免感染病毒但是未經科學證明的，因此根本不可信
Always check for reliable sources/articles.
As mentioned before nutrition is still important to improve your immune system and be ready for these challenging times, and especially avoid any kind of deficiencies and malnutrition which could make a person more vulnerable
As I am writing this post I can directly hear from my friends in Italy (where now there is a complete lockdown) how the boredom and emotional eating could be the main challenge during the quarantine
Emotional Eating; 情緒性進食
Stress and Anxiety are normal consequences and need to be considered, is it ok to worry about friends and relatives and for yourself, but how do we avoid panic and comfort eating?
So let’s discuss how to avoid and deal with these
The mental health is very important as always and having new hobbies and keeping in touch with people through social media, calls, video calls will be a small but effective way to reduce the stress
Food talking, we discussed in the previous posts many healthy snacks alternatives to still have something but without increasing your caloric and sugar intake drastically, so please have a look to the previous posts and here some useful links:
But mindful eating could be the key to deal better every single day during the quarantine:
Focusing just on what you are eating without distractions like TV, phone or laptop; Slowing down and tasting more to appreciate and help to notice the portion you are having; Asking yourself if you are really hungry or is more due to boredom, and think twice before crabbing snacks that could be avoided
- Focusing just on what you are eating without distractions like TV, phone or laptop; 專注在於所吃的食物，而不被電視、手機或電腦分心；
- Slowing down and tasting more to appreciate and help to notice the portion you are having; 試著放慢腳步並品嚐，這幫助感恩及幫助注意食物吃的份量
- Asking yourself if you are really hungry or is more due to boredom, and think twice before crabbing snacks that could be avoided問問自己自己是否真的餓了，或僅是出自於無聊？進食前先三思，可以避免大吃零食。
Previous posts about COVID-19 mentioned a meal plan for boosting the immune system and prevent malnutrition.
營養師隨手寫菜單Recipe from RD
Breakfast: A cup of Milk/Yogurt
+ Egg with Toast
Breakfast Dessert: Kiwi * 1,
Lunch: Teppanyaki-with Oysters
(Including cruciferous plants, garlic)
Noon: Guava * 1, or Orange*1,
Dinner: Sukiyaki ( a lot of green leafy
vegetables + Egg Liquid + Carrot +
Red Pepper + Tofu)
Supper: Yogurt / Buttermilk
* Less coffee, alcohol, smoke
It can make from home, keep social distancing
Some alternative snack with low calories, such as instant roast sea sedge, dried vegetable cookies
Saf, personal website Better Call Saf
Specilized in bariatic surgery weight loss
Registered Dietitian both in Italy and in the U.K.